12 August, 2006

Sunniest Day Ever


WHILE I WAS WRITING the sentimental bit at the bottom of this post, I probably ran through A Sunny Day In Glasgow's The Sunniest Day Ever EP about six times. It stood tall against thoughts of futility and selfishness, playing like a well-timed reaffirmation of music blogging's importance to me. I discovered them through Fluxblog, and couldn't help but drop three dollars on their 4 (5!) song EP. Happily, the album ingratiated itself with me immediately via blown out sounds, warm and crystalline, that seem to originate from the tiniest thrumming. The album's beauty is consummate on "Laughter (Victims)," a too-short two-minute wash of middle-consciousness (I can't describe it without the generous hyphenation). This is perfect, enjoy.


Visit A Sunny Day In Glasgow online, and do purchase the Sunniest Day Ever EP here for only three dollars post-paid.

***

At any moment, I've got ideas in my head about this blog and music blogs in general. Not all are positive, and most will remain in my head, but I'd like to mention something Ian wrote at Popsheep recently:

Sorry for the long gaps between posts lately, but I'm feeling less and less motivated to write these things. Perhaps its the unbearable, oppressive heat or just the futility of being one among a billion other MP3 blogs. Regardless, these are two great songs. Enjoy.

I sympathize completely with this statement, and with Ryan's comment at the bottom, though it saddens me to say it:

There may be a billion music blogs out there now, but they're mostly all completely worthless, in my opinion at least. Popsheep is one of the 3 or 4 mp3 blogs that I still actually read.

And it's good that you don't post every day, or, god forbid, multiple times a day. That's the worst. I'd rather get one gem per week than 50 of those quota-filling posts that bloggers these days seem to do.

There are a billion (and counting), and it's certainly disheartening to see how many are little more than hasty and depthless "mp3 mixes." My point is not to berate these blogs, but to say that it would be a shame if a site like Popsheep called it quits (which I don't suspect will happen, btw). There are blogs, big and small, with absolutely unquestionable heart, which I've drawn inspiration from since the beginning. And while I'm trying to find my own voice amidst the growing clamor, I can say with confidence that the most important ones won't ever be drowned out, even if they aren't the loudest.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's some bomb ass writing dawg. yeah i just wrote that ridiculous sentence. suns coming up in boston right now, the best nights are the ones where you see the sun come up. it's nine in the morning. soooo good. anyways i've listened to bounce that off girl talk probably 20 times in the past 12 hours, i'm listening to it again right now. just listen to the part where the sax comes in and die of joy. hope you've been listening to it. holy shit i saw of montreal and they covered gnarls barkley for their encore! so crazy, man, just plain crazy. fuck brooklyn.

13 August, 2006 06:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's funny. i read blogs for different reasons. some are purely for the mp3 pickup, i won't deny that. others are for the humor and crazy slant they take on life and music (i do like to laugh).

yet others (and this would be where yours comes in) are for the thoughtful, meaningful, personal insights and viewpoints as well as the music. you put a bit of your soul into each post and it really shines through. so i'd say you've got a pretty good handle on your own voice.

13 August, 2006 08:21  
Blogger sean said...

really nicely put, brian.

14 August, 2006 10:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting site. Blog is very good. I am happy that I think the same!

04 September, 2007 10:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Nice site! Good resources here. I will bookmark!

09 September, 2007 13:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see first time your site guys. I like you :)

09 September, 2007 23:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

09 September, 2007 23:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home