24 July, 2006

I Can't Even Talk About It


The Clientele's Strange Geometry would have been one of my favorite albums of 2005, had I actually listened to it that year. Really, it's Top 5 material.

I remember seeing them open for Spoon last summer, and the distinct feeling of boredom I got from watching three mopey English men play similarly mopey English songs. I also remember Alasdair Maclean's guitar playing - no pick, beautiful and no doubt difficult. This should have been a clue to listen a little closer, to stop assuming their material was as drab as their presence, because now I sorely regret not paying attention. It would be months until I would hear those songs again, at the behest of a friend, and recognize the singular brilliance in them. "My Own Face Inside The Trees" would serve as the soundtrack to my Scottish winter, the lines "Like the sea inside a shell/ Everything speaks to itself/ Darkness comes at half-past three/ My own face is in the trees" running through my head the length of the dark walks home.

I bring this up for two reasons. First, because I found the Clientele's blog, home to some seriously wonderful prose. Specifically the most recent entry, and its familiar backdrop. This song, as a comment on that entry noted, recalls "Losing Haringey" from Geometry.


Second, my experience with the Clientele has been replayed, albeit to a much lesser extent, with El Perro Del Mar. I saw her play this winter, and didn't like it one bit. I've seen the name pop up since then, with surprisingly nice words attached. I've given her another chance, and this song won't leave my head. Very well done.


Visit the Clientele online, and buy Strange Geometry here.

Visit El Perro Del Mar online, and buy the self-titled album here.

***

I got my special-edition Tap Tap album today, and it's fantastic. It recalls so many of the little books I've loved.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your blog!!

26 July, 2006 01:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

loving lanzafame over here too!

nice post. i've been waiting to check out strange geometry and this has given me every reason to do so...

27 July, 2006 09:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home