08 July, 2006

Be Your Own Guide

Since I'm writing this from work (lunch break, of course), I guess that makes me a real blogger now.

One of my most fantastic loves in the world is also, unfortunately, somewhat expensive and often frustrating (aren't they all?). Like many of you, I try my best to get hold of everything released by my favorite bands: singles, sevens, EPs and splits. Demos, compilation appearances, remixes and covers. Etcetera, etcetera. It's an overwhelming task, often made impossible by out-of-print releases and imports (and import prices). Sometimes, though - and this is probably half the fun - you stumble across something you didn't even know existed, right there in the section you know by heart, a surprise which could only be meant for you.

Today I found a few things (on sale, too!) which aren't exactly the ten-dollar Telephono I pride myself on, but exciting nonetheless. One of these is Josh Ritter's little 4 Songs Live EP, recorded in Dublin a couple/few years ago. The record begins with a scream, hearts lift and "Kathleen"'s sweet, sweet strumming comes in strong. Listen longer, hear the Irish crowd sing along, hear Ritter sing with more fire and piss than you knew he had. Gorgeous.


The My Morning Jacket / Songs: Ohia split is the other thing I'm excited about. It's got four MMJ tracks, including the stellar "O is the One that is Real," and a single, wonderful Songs: Ohia jam titled "Translation." The latter is a ten-minute song featuring Will Oldham in spare, creeping harmony with Jason Molina, everything sounding like the heat that rises above baking summer asphalt, ghosts trying to cool off. Altogether, this is probably the best thing Jade Tree's ever released.


Visit Ritter online, buy things here.

Visit Songs: Ohia (Magnolia Electric Co.) onine, and buy this split here.

***

Some music videos to check out:


***

Happy birthday to one of my favorite blogs, Can You See The Sunset From The Southside? Eric does great work, go tell him that.

I love Popsheep, yacht rock. I often think of which blogs I wish mine resembled, in content and stature: of course Said the Gramophone's gracious prose and The Rich Girls' on-point-ness (topicality, but more fun); but also the interesting little gem of Popsheep. Quietly, I think it's one of the very best and most curious sites. I hope you read it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Bows & Arrows is a favorite of mine as well. Thanks for all the support.

08 July, 2006 20:04  
Blogger ian said...

Thanks for the very kind words, brian. Sometimes it's hard to get motivated to keep writing posts and tossing them off into the void, so it helps to have people you respect say nice things about you.

Your little blog here isn't too shabby, either. We don't take linking to people on our sidebar lightly, and only do so when we think they're doing something really interesting.

09 July, 2006 07:20  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Oh! Thank you, Brian. I'm totally blushing! You're no slouch yourself, you know.

10 July, 2006 12:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home