14 June, 2006

Some Notes




I'm leaving way, way too early tomorrow for La Ciudad de Nuestra SeƱora Reina de los Angeles, where I'll stop by Amoeba and spend all my money before hitting up LACMA (I believe hitting up is the correct term) and seeing a couple shows. Wednesday: The Mountain Goats. Thursday: The Walkmen.

Maybe you've noticed that I haven't really mentioned the Walkmen's latest, A Hundred Miles Off. I really don't know what to say. For the most part, I agreed with the Pitchfork review, which is disappointing in that the album is only "good" and also that I haven't been moved to form an opinion on it. I'm hoping that their show will change my mind, or rather make up my mind. It certainly couldn't hurt - their performances are always fantastic.


Like the Pfork review said, this song is the highlight of A Hundred Miles Off. It's got just the right amount of strain in Hamilton's voice, hitting intense highs on "I got my hands tied!," easily the closest this album comes to Bows + Arrows' highlights. (Okay, I'll admit I'm using "The Rat" as the measuring stick, which isn't quite fair. But really, this comes close.) And the music - it's an afternoon drunk, seriously sunstroked horns and percussion, fitting perfectly. "Louisiana"'s the albums' first track, and unfortunately what follows doesn't come together in quite the same way. "Lost In Boston" gets close, think of it as the "Little House of Savages" to "Louisiana"'s "The Rat." Get it?

Visit the Walkmen online, and buy A Hundred Miles Off here.

***

Marathonpacks(2) blogs the HUGELY DISAPPOINTING Game 3 of the NBA Finals. Shaq makes his only two FTs that matter, and Dirk's first miss from the line seals their fate. Ugh.

I keep going back to Loki, the Scottish rapper Sean's shared at Said the Gramophone. I miss the place. Oh, and the song's good too.

The Foundry Field Recordings' Prompts/Miscues is out now, it's been growing on me and my sister seems to have stolen it. It's that good, folks.

See you Friday!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yah bro me digs that Foundry actiones too

15 June, 2006 13:28  
Blogger Shy Violence said...

Brian,

i work at armadillo and i dj the indie dance night at the grad that happens twice a month. there is one this sunday, if you are in town you should come check it out.

-Jordan

16 June, 2006 11:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » » »

16 February, 2007 07:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home