04 June, 2006

R.O.T.C



Photo: http://www.jmu.edu/rotc/info.htm

The Reserve Officers Training Corps, or ROTC is a part of American schooling that has a long tradition of military training, that, apparently "plays an important role in the national defense framework of our nation". Now, I don't know about that, the only tradition I knew about the program was making fun of the classes participants every single day at school, all dressed up in fatigues or whatever, and it was funny because then they just got harassed some more by their drill sargents with the buzz-cuts. Comedy it was for us regular guys. Well I'm not here writing about that portion of ROTC, I feel like I'd have to be on the receiving end of it before I could write anything about it; I'd like to write a little bit about ROTC itself.
It all started back in "1819 when a former superintendent at West Point established the American Literary, Scientific, and Military Academy, which later became Norwich University." Soon after this, military instruction spread to many other colleges.

I am already bored of the topic, go here: http://www.catalogs.umn.edu/ug/rotc/rotcinfo.html to read more. I basically stole every factual word from there.