01 July, 2006

When I Was Up North




Where I was up north there were no Santa Ana winds, and I could sleep at night. Also, there were forests and rivers and rocky beaches filled with sea stars. Up north we made the most of the mornings and read in the afternoons, eating well and retiring at reasonable hours. There were instruments around the house: a banjo, a melon-backed mandolin, a guitar and a piano. Also, anywhere from one to three voices, singing songs like these:


Where I was up north I felt a little closer than I ever have to understanding these songs, their warmth and their cracked, peaceful serenity. The way their harmonies can pull and soothe, can want so badly for something they can only believe is coming. I liked it there, up north but somewhere else entirely (I know some of its magic was an invention on my part, but it was an innocent one, and it worked) - hopefully I'll be back before long.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try not to miss my up north, but it sneaks in sometimes.
It's the little things.
I enjoyed this very much

01 July, 2006 06:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would never be able to describe it that well because it is my own world, so thank you for this. invented majic is the real kind. and i hope you'll come back before long too.

01 July, 2006 21:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful post!

03 July, 2006 11:14  
Blogger Shy Violence said...

both of those tracks are amazing...when summer comes around i find myself listening to country much more than any other music.

right now it's:
slim cessna's auto club
the devil makes three
midlake
and a few others.

enjoyed your post as always

08 July, 2006 13:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home