21 July, 2006

Truck Music


For the first half of the week I was camping out of a truck in Big Sur. My new truck. I bring this up not only because it was fantastic, but because this was my first chance to explore the glory and the possibilities of Truck Music. What am I talking about? Well, suffice to say, we're dealing with rather defined stereotypes here - Truck Music is where awesome and obnoxious convene, which is badass - and much of what I normally listen to just doesn't cut it. So, around town I keep it tuned to some New Country! station (this may be a bad idea), and work with what I have on the iPod for longer trips. Best of all, this trip was nothing if not a good time to enjoy, or try to enjoy, some of the music sent my way. Thankfully, be it the warm driving weather, my underexplored love of folk and roots music, or sheer happenstance, I've received some significant Truck Music recently:

Graham Lindsey: first of all look at him.


A hard, rangy kid if I've ever seen one, with some fittingly, if not typically, Dylanesque tunes to share on his new album Hell Under The Skullbones. I took to Lindsey as soon as I heard
him, particularly the bittersweetly proclamatory opener "Matchbook Song," with its familiarity and its feigned indifference (so country) and its dirty words.


Gov't Mule: this feels strange. I saw the name, my prejudice told me I wouldn't like it, I listened, didn't like it, and left it. In the truck, I guess, things are different. It's posturing, sure, but listening to Big Riffs and dorky vox is kinda thrilling in this context. If you listen to that 89.1 Cock Rock station in the car (and we all do), you'd be lying if you said you didn't enjoy this song.


Blood Meridian: I'm gonna have more to say about this band. For now, note that Ladyhawk comparisons would be apt in this case. The music shambles, sweat and caked dust, it's alive and it's plain badass. This song preempts a fight, it's the soundtrack to every slow, spurred step before the face-off.


Looking over this, I might be crazy (or verging). But it's fun stuff, enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home