27 July, 2006

The Click Wheel Five II


Now that everything's sorted on the new computer, meaning my entire music collection Available For The Very First Time from a single source, it's time for a new click-wheel five. I haven't done one for a while, because exercises like this can be overdone and become gratuitous mp3 dumps, but I'm in the mood. And for some strange reason I'd like to be embarrassed this time (this is so possible). Without further ado:

1. Modest Mouse - Wood Grain [mp3]
from Sad Sappy Sucker [buy]

From Sad Sappy Sucker, a collection we could've done without, here's an early Modest Mouse song. Thirty seconds made listenable by lines about "sharing our issues," being "totally dead," and little else. But is that not classic Brock?


Here's one I've mentioned before. Done acoustic here, I wonder if anyone can help me: is that a theremin singing in the background? Or a saw? Kind of a welcome addition anyway, this being one of the few tracks on Separation Sunday's that didn't stand out.

3. The Mountain Goats - Historiography [mp3]
from Bitter Melon Farm [buy]

Statistically, there should be a Mountain Goats song on almost every five-song shuffle I do. It's just Darnielle and a guitar, but it sounds real thick and sweet. A list of all he remembers: your warmth, your eyes, soft hands and soft rain. The quiet car, the dark and the coming sun, and I wish I could write like this. I remember an old girlfriend putting a Mountain Goats song on a cassette mix for my cassette-enabled car, called "Love Cuts The Strings." And how it frustrated me not knowing if it was a love song or a bitter send-off, with lines like "And then love pulled out the heavy artillery." It would take a long time and many more of Darnielle's love songs before I understood.

4. Wilderness - Arkless [mp3]
from Wilderness [buy]

At one point, Pitchfork was beta testing streaming radio (remember that?). I recall requesting from the man himself to hear Wilderness, whose first album they had recently praised. This, I believe, was the song played, and I absolutely hated it.

5. Spiritualized - Anything More [mp3]
from Let It Come Down [buy]

I learned about Spiritualized from a skate video featuring "Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" in a crash montage. It was like nothing I'd heard before; it was as grand and infinite and heartbreakingly lonely as the abyss the title implied. "Anything More" is done well, too, swelling and sad. "Though my body gets tired/ My mind does it no favors at all/ And there's so little time/ To do something, something, anything more." I'll go ahead and say this reminds me of "Narcolepsy," from Ben Folds Five's oft-maligned swansong The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner, I think that's fair.

Well, that wasn't nearly as scandalous as I had hoped for. I'd call it solid though.

***

Lurking through my links, I found this interesting post on the sociology of music blog titles.

I'm addicted to Project Runway, but the last two weeks' decisions have really upset me. Katherine's dress was cute, it was sporty and simple and just fine, whereas Angela's looked like space-trash. Anyway, it seems I agree with what seems to be the popular consensus around the blogodrome: cut Angela, show Michael.

11 Comments:

Blogger TJ said...

"Cattle and the Creeping Things" was the song that finally won me over to Hold Steady. It's one of my favorite songs on that album. Awesome lyrics: "Up till then she thought Exodus only meant a movement of the people." The stuff about Adam and Eve being "naked when they got busted"? Hilarious.

27 July, 2006 12:36  
Blogger marc said...

Can you do vibrato on a theremin? I think it's a saw. By the way, thanks for the link!

27 July, 2006 16:06  
Blogger TJ said...

I meant to say, this version of "Cattle" is great. And that's absolutely a saw. I'm in Iowa. That's a saw.

27 July, 2006 16:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What skate video was that? I can't place it...please help.

27 July, 2006 20:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was Transworld's Modus Operandi. Word.

27 July, 2006 21:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

putting out full albums would be tight, thanks

27 July, 2006 21:52  
Blogger Kyle said...

Cutting Katherine was a complete slap in the face to the Midwest. She was misunderstood.

28 July, 2006 12:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm really enjoying the Mountain Goats and Spiritualized tracks. Thanks!

I'm house sitting for someone who doesn't have a TV, so I've missed Project Runway for the last two weeks. It's bumming me out.

01 August, 2006 09:30  
Blogger music is art said...

this is really one of my first times, sitting down and enjoying bows & arrows... and i must say... the writing and song selections are spectacular. thankyou for all you do~

10 August, 2006 12:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea. i gotta say. confused about the cattle diss. my seond favorite song on the cd.

28 December, 2006 22:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i bloody love the mountain goats. how much power and feeling can one guy put in a song. darnielle you genius

05 May, 2007 06:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home