08 August, 2006

There To Stay


OKAY, I'M GONNA TRY to explain this, and it might not work. Ryan's posted an amazing, amazing song by Beaten Awake (not a hXc band) at the Catbirdseat. You know how the strongest memories are tied to scents - the smell at the lake, the car's sun-baked upholstery, her old perfume - you know? Well, this may be harder to pick up on, but it's the same with sounds, I swear. Like with this song, "Browns Town," which recalls exactly what I felt when I'd listen to Algebra One's "Fireball." I don't know anything about Algebra One besides this song which appeared on an old Sub City comp. This mystery, I suppose, was crucial to the construction of this strange mental space I occupied whenever I heard "Fireball." I felt an essence too romantic to share with anybody, like I was the one hollering for my shining sun. I liked the way the instruments veered out of time with what can only be described as punk passion, because it never sounded bad, just excited. And when things did come together, when the song started walking high-wire halfway through, and he sang "Been waiting all night/ Three hours of sleep..." with perfect pitch and measure, I nearly died. Two minutes later and it was gone, and to understand where I'd been I had to listen again.

"Browns Town" plays like an updated "Fireball," retrofitted to match the evolution of my taste over the years. It wraps me in the same air, I feel the same lift when I hear him sing "So I'll rock you right down to the floor" like a promise that's more determination than anything else. A promise made under low lights on slow nights, or something similarly astral. It's a place I'm only too happy to revisit, whatever it is.

Algebra One - Fireball [mp3]

Beaten Awake - Browns Town [mp3]

Buy Sub City's Take Action, featuring "Fireball," here. It's also got a special version of the Weakerthans' "Everything Must Go!," which I prefer, and my favorite Scared of Chaka song. For, like, four dollars.

Visit Beaten Awake online, and buy Let's Get Simplified when it comes out on Audio Eagle in September.

***

Please go listen to Thao Nguyen's Daytrotter session while reading what Mr. Moeller's so graciously written. "Feet Asleep" is one of my favorite songs of the year, if that means anything to you.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely check out Thao's CD! It's fantastic.

08 August, 2006 10:54  
Blogger Bill Rocks Cleveland said...

Beaten Awake -- great band and a great bunch of guys. They're from the Kent, OH area and have been in the scene for years in various bands. I've been a huge supporter of this band since their first demos went out early this year. They have some west coast dates opening up for The Black Keys. Dudes are excited and it can be a big break for them.

08 August, 2006 16:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

brian, you write so well it brings tears to my eyes! i'm not kidding. for example, "I felt an essence too romantic to share with anybody, like I was the one hollering for my shining sun" is one incredible image. it works, believe me, it works.

08 August, 2006 18:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY--someone outside of Ohio has posted about Beaten Awake. I emailed YANP Matt about them months ago.

08 August, 2006 18:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, if anybody wants Beaten Awake's demo, which is awesome, I'd be happy to send out burned copies. Just email me. Also, you can pick up original copies at Square Records here in Akron (www.squarerecordsakron.com). This is a band I think needs to be heard.

08 August, 2006 18:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops. Maybe I should include my email address: quirkusmaximus@hotmail.com

08 August, 2006 18:51  
Blogger theOmega said...

The New Album from Beaten Awake drops Sept. 19th and it will rock you right down to the core. It's amazing. Look for it @ audioeaglerecords.com or fatpossum.com and retailers everywhere.

cheers.

the0mega.

13 August, 2006 12:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home