26 February, 2006

It's Been A Long Time Coming: Otis Redding


Otis Redding - A Change Is Gonna Come [mp3]

This is a Sam Cooke tune, and I'm not really sure what to say about it, besides that it's one of the greatest songs ever. I like the way it starts, floating down the river slowly. I like the horns, sounding each note proud. And I like most how I hear more in his voice than the lyrics; it says everything.

Otis Redding - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
[mp3]

This is a Stones tune, also one of the greatest songs ever. It shows, perfectly, what I like about soul. Jagger sings it and it's got menace, it's got grease, it's rock. Redding sings it with a different frustration, something brighter, with a little humor. And again, the horns, they can't be denied.

Otis Redding official website / buy Dreams to Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology

Enjoy!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennings said...

Otis Redding is the man!

26 February, 2006 12:25  
Blogger heather said...

Fabulous! I do think that HANDS DOWN Change is Gonna Come is one of THE most soulfully-loaded songs Otis ever sang. He just POURS himself into it. One of my favorite three songs by him, for sure, and I love him a lot (we've got those Georgia roots to remember!) -

Thanks for appreciating the hot dog comment. I chuckle inwardly just listening to my grampa tell stories. It is so wonderful to bask in that drawl. :)

26 February, 2006 13:56  
Blogger Dance Hall Hips said...

A couple of things. First off, definately definately love Otis, but I also definately prefer Sam Cooke's version. Secondly, I've got some amazing live Otis stuff I've been meaning to put up. It's so intense. Especially "Try A Little Tenderness" Live at the Monterey Pop Festival. Definately one of the best songs I've ever heard. :). Swing by my site some time.
http://iknowmusic.blogspot.com
thanks,
Jon

26 February, 2006 22:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now Brian, you do realize that that artists like Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Percy Sledge, etc, form the foundation for the Commitments movie and soundtrack that I love and you Mel could not stand, don't you?

- the dad

26 February, 2006 23:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the Commitments. Maybe it's not so much the music itself, just the associations with long drives and repetition. Or maybe I'm finally coming around. Or not.

27 February, 2006 05:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with the former - them were LONG drives!

- d

27 February, 2006 08:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Al Green did this song, with Booker T and the MGs, at the Grammy awards induction ceremony. It is available on the "Ali" soundtrack (2001). I love it.

27 February, 2006 20:12  
Blogger Eric said...

Love the Stones cover.

01 March, 2006 14:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home