20 February, 2006

Scotland and the Mountain Goats

I'm back from my sweet, sweet weekend in Dumfries & Galloway. How good did it feel to get out of the city for a few days? Good good. Among the sites we saw - castles, mountains, sea, sunshine and rain - one really stuck: when we pulled off a winding and wet road to see the mountain goats. They were all together at the base of a mountain in the rain, doing whatever goats do to bide their time. Eating, I suppose. They paid us no mind until we threw a bit of sandwich, and then they all came close, more numerous than they had seemed.


It was strange and wonderful, and I of course thought of a song, a link: The Mountain Goats' "Going to Scotland." It speaks to the feel of things here, the wonderful, primordial earthiness: "I took your hips in my hands and I threw you down/ To the newfound rich brown deep wet ground/ Had a vision of you burning on my mind." Sounds weird, but I can smell it - must and dirt and thick wind. And I love the force behind the words; strong without evoking violence, compellingly instinctual.

From Nothing For Juice (reissued! buy!):

The Mountain Goats - Going to Scotland

***

Via Largehearted Boy: Stylus plays God with the Mountain Goats' Tallahassee:

"I love The Mountain Goats’ Tallahassee. Despite what critics and certainly other ‘Goats fans might say, it’s one of my favorite records. And I’ll be the first to admit that the album isn’t one of his best."

In my underinformed and honest opinion, Tallahassee is both Darnielle's best and my favorite. But what do I know?

O, flower of Scotland! I finally got around to watching Beerjacket's performance at Bar Brel, Glasgow. Color me impressed! Peter Kelly, the man behind the guitar and microphone, has a voice you like and a song to match. The first in the set ("Grand Plans"?) is my fav.


From the brand-new Accident History (buy):

Beerjacket - Last Orders

In my last bit of local news, I'd like to thank Graeme for informing me that the mystery opener at the Laura Veirs show last week was Edinburgh local William Douglas. Which means I haven't seen the last of him.

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home