12 February, 2006

Ben Folds Five


Yesterday's Wilderness post, fittingly, inspired me to go on an outdoor adventure. What made it really fun, though, was the erratic weather. There was clear sky, sun, rain, and some crazy wind. And a rainbow to wrap it all up.

Today's been a little more tame, I spent most of it in the coffee shop doing a newspaper write-up. The significance? Ben Folds Five's "The Battle of Who Could Care Less" came on and I couldn't help but smile, sit back, and let the nostalgia carry me away.

Whatever and Ever Amen is a classic in my book. The piano was no schtick, these guys were pop savants in slacker disguise, as this collection of songs proves. As for the knocks against Folds' overlarge ego: I don't think this album would be nearly as fun without the smugness. I don't even think it ruins the decidedly non-fun songs like "Brick." I love "Brick." This has inadvertently turned into quite a defensive description, hasn't it? I just think they were underappreciated.

From Whatever and Ever Amen (buy):

Ben Folds Five - Battle of Who Could Care Less [mp3]

Ben Folds Five - Brick
[mp3]

Even better than Whatever... is their debut, Ben Folds Five. One of the most fun albums I can think of, and widely loved by those who've heard it. It doesn't get any better than the one-two punch of "Jackson Cannery" into "Philosophy," does it?

From Ben Folds Five (buy):

Ben Folds Five - Jackson Cannery
[mp3]

Ben Folds Five - Philosophy
[mp3]

***

Dodge has some Hotel Lights up, former BFF drummer Darren Jessee's new band. Check it out.

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hurray!!!

favorite band ever? yes.

12 February, 2006 14:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home