06 February, 2006

show: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah + Two Gallants

I wasn't feeling too excited about this show until I showed up and remembered that Two Gallants were opening. I've been hooked on the few songs I've heard from their upcoming album What the Toll Tells (which I now have!), which are thrillingly unrefined and compelling. Guitarist and vocalist Adam Stephens has a terrifying, ragged yelp made all the more urgent by drummer Tyson Vogel's insane pounding (just look at the pictures). Together they were uncompromisingly, awesomely loud, enough to overwhelm any and all doubt about two white kids playing the blues.





From What the Toll Tells (pre-order!!):

Two Gallants - Las Cruces Jail

From everything I'd heard, I didn't expect Clap Your Hands Say Yeah to be that great - certainly they couldn't touch Two Gallants' feverish racket. While the latter is true, I was very happily surprised by how good they were. The sound was fine, they had some energy, and frontman Alec Ounworth's maniacal and strange vocals were indeed maniacal and strange. They played some new songs which ranged from damn good to decent, definitely an indication of an evolving sound. For a band like CYHSY, whose repetitiveness can become sameness, this was another pleasant discovery. Only gripe: he didn't repeat "chastized" 30 times in "Upon this Tidal Wave of Young Blood." But hey, it's awright.



From Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (buy):

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Details of the War

This show was recorded by BBC6, and I presume it will be broadcast today or tomorrow or forevermore, on the internet, somewhere...

***

I Am Fuel, You Are Friends is a new favorite. Heather posts absolute gems, if you're really looking to open your mind to new music of all kinds, check it out. Remember, Wednesdays are for World Music.

While you were enjoying your Superbowl, I was enjoying Scotland defeating France, live and in person. I never really thought about how sports in America are so largely intra-country (and sometimes Canada), and watching two nations compete seemed much more important and awesome comparatively. Like the Olympics, ALL THE TIME.

Enjoy!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I had one of those when I was in Indiana (outside of Pittsburgh). They're huge, like Gilbert Brown huge.

06 February, 2006 15:11  
Blogger Jennings said...

Hey, I'm glad you had a good time at CYHSY. Honest.

07 February, 2006 03:14  
Blogger Sharon said...

I've missed all the recent gigs in Edinburgh. CYHSY, Jose and Regina. I've been really busy moving house. But now I'm finally settled I should be out and about more. I'll definately be at the Laura Veirs gig, hopefully see you there.

07 February, 2006 06:48  
Blogger heather said...

thanks!!!!

07 February, 2006 08:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home