29 January, 2006

Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins


Why do I feel like I'm the last one to show up at this party, despite the fact that this album was released less than a week ago? Anyways, that's neither here nor there.

Jenny Lewis fascinates me. She strikes me as a complex and unusual person, undeniably gorgeous and truly, wonderfully strange. Her lyrics about insecurities and hardship are interesting, and hint at the complications of her personality, but it's her presentation that really deserves attention. It's the seeming disparity between the pretty face and the shouted curses, the songs titled "Rise Up With Fists!!!" and the conviction behind lines like "metal rods you put in your fucking jaw to keep you from grinding your teeth at night!!" It's this combination that shows her complexities, and enthralls me.

Her solo debut, Rabbit Fur Coat, is quite a nice listen, all confessional country twang. My interest wandered at points, but I found myself drawn back in by the Watson Twins' lovely backing vocals. I think Lewis benefits from these solid, stronger moments, which are also the times when the record sounds most like a dusty old country LP. They're the perfect medium for Lewis to tell her strange tales of fear, love, and affirmation; belting it out loud and proud.

From Rabbit Fur Coat (buy):

Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins - The Big Guns

Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins - Rise Up With Fists!!!

And the crazy song with the line I mentioned earlier, from Saddle Creek 50 (buy):

Rilo Kiley - Jenny You're Barely Alive

***

Do you guys read McSweeney's? It's pure treasure, man.

Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home