25 January, 2006

Happiness At All Times mix:

Here are a few cuts from a cheer-up mix I made. These are the important ones, hopefully you'll enjoy them too. I've become overwhelmed with the number of new bands all over the interweb, and indeed even with the bands I already know that have released new material. So this is writing about songs I know well and love, which is what I hope to do more often.

Sacred Harp Singers At Liberty Church - I'm Going Home
(buy)

Sacred harp music, a bunch of backwoods folk singing loud harmonies, fascinates me. The voices are terrifying, full of conviction and joy and whatever inevitable insanity results from that combination. This music scares the Hell out of me, but then again that's probably the point.
I listen to this and I want to believe with such fervor that I'm going home too, and that it will be wonderful when I do.

The Microphones - The Moon (buy)

I suggest everyone listen to this, lest we forget how brilliant this band was. As long as there is music, there will be attempts to approximate natrual sounds with instruments, with varying levels of success. I've always felt that Phil Elverum was a step beyond this, with the ability to capture the distinct and powerful feeling of being somewhere, anywhere, outdoors. Nothing comes as close to feeling like fresh air or mountain wind or cool grass, as Microphones songs. "The Moon" is one of the best, a rush of air over black peaks - under the "glowing ball of rock" of course. And besides evoking the natural, Elverum's lyrics beautifully illustrate human emotions.

The Books - Enjoy Your Worries, You May Never Have Them Again (buy)

I'm amazed that two men can compile samples and live instrumentation to make such touching, human music, entirely without lyrics. This song in particular stands out, beginning with an unsettled and pensive melody and losing its patience. After that it reconsiders and exhales and things begin to swirl and illuminate into a wonderful, celebratory ending.

***

Did you guys see the Pitchfork feature on religion in indie rock, featuring my boy Page France? It's interesting stuff.

Chromewaves
has new Neko Case! Does anybody remember when she won some Playboy indie-rock-hot-chick contest, or am I just making that up (entirely possible)?

And did I just link to Playboy?

My Yellow Country Teeth has some new Pretty Girls Make Graves and a good story to boot.

Enjoy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

page france is a band, not a person.

26 January, 2006 11:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how stupid do i look - i keep making that mistake!! sorry page france, i hope you (collectively) don't hate me.

27 January, 2006 04:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home