23 January, 2006

Liars


Years ago, when dancepunk was gaining momentum, I discovered Liars. They were abrasive and irresistable, decidedly more eccentric than, say, the Rapture. When their second album came out to disappointing reviews, often hinting at "unlistenable," I didn't even take the chance.

As they prepare for the release of their third long-player, Drum's Not Dead, I wonder if that was a mistake. Because listening to "The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack," any preconceived notions about the band's sound have been thrown out, and I'm floored. It's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. "If you need me/ I can always be found," assures singer Angus Andrews in the most convincing and comforting fashion. The music is a slow procession, glimmering underneath him. It's all surreal, like a calming dream. Here's to hoping "Heart Attack" isn't just an anomaly in this "difficult" band's repertoire.

From Drum's Not Dead (out Feb 20. buy Liars here)

Liars - The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack

Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I'll have to give this a listen. I'm a fan of their first record but haven't heard anything since.

24 January, 2006 18:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home