28 January, 2006

Calexico


While there exist ~9243025 covers of Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart," Calexico's is my favorite. It's all associations: I listened to it every hot clear morning this summer while riding my bike to school, and it was perfect. The cyclical melody is pure motion, all forward momentum like a heartbeat. To be honest, I prefer this wide-open version to the original - but again it's pretty personal. Join me in this sacrilege, give it a listen.

From some Starbucks valentine comp:

Calexico - Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division cover)

Iron & Wine - AB's Song (Marshall Tucker Band)

***

Hey! Right when I had given up on him, Welcome to the Midwest returns! Hooray!

I just got Cat Power today. It's real good. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so! I love Overcompensating and so should you.

Enjoy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim Young said...

oh yeah! I only heard the calexico version of this classic a few weeks ago, so it's still sinking into my psyche at the moment. Co-incidentally I've got a link up to a BBC session version of the orginal on my blog at the moment, along with the perfect song to put next to it on a compilation ....

the face of today

28 January, 2006 15:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting these!

28 January, 2006 17:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for turning me on to Cat Power. Great songs.

28 January, 2006 21:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have the M. Ward cover of "let my love open the door" from that same starbucks compilation? I've been wanting to get hold of that, but I could never bring myself to go into starbucks and buy it.

28 January, 2006 21:12  
Blogger Eric said...

Great JD cover. Nice work.

29 January, 2006 16:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home