16 February, 2006

She Was Pre-Med, I Was Nervous As Hell: Devon Sproule


Devon Sproule - Julie

I came across the Found Magazine audio features a long time ago, a compendium of songs written from found source material - old notes, photographs, and the like. It seems Found has stopped running the audio feature, but luckily I was able to find the August 2004 Song of the Month by Devon Sproule. "Julie" is my favorite of the Found songs, a touching folk tune about a missed connection in the computer lab. Hell, any song that can make computer labs interesting is bound to be good. Sproule voices regret wonderfully, alternating between rambling rememberances and a longing howl, a process all too familiar.

Devon Sproule and Paul Curreri - Morning Bugle

Devon Sproule and Paul Curreri - All The Best

It took a while, but I finally got around to researching Sproule. Good thing, too, because I found these kitchen duets with Paul Curreri she's made available for free. Two albums of gorgeous, lively and playful recordings with all the twang and harmony one I could want. "Morning Bugle" is sweetly tipsy breath, a pretty rendition of the John Hartford original. Their version of John Prine's "All The Best" is worth more than a chuckle as they replace the yous with yo asses. I wish yo ass all the best, indeed.

Buy Devon Sproule's latest, Upstate Songs, here. This summer she'll release Keep Your Silver Shine, so heads up.

Make friends and listen close on MySpace.

***

Pitchfork reviews a Feist / Jason Collett show and gives details on Regina Spektor's upcoming full-length, Hope.

I can't wait for Hope, especially after hearing "Fidelity" at her show on the 1st.

Live at Cabaret Voltaire, Edinburgh February 1, 2006:

Regina Spektor - Fidelity

"What the hell is Barry Manilow doing at No. 1 on the
Billboard album charts?" asks Slate. I don't know.

I found a video for the Silver Jews' excellent "Punks In The Beerlight." Humor!

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Martha Hari said...

those devon sproule songs are beautiful - especially "julie". thanks a lot!

19 February, 2006 15:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home