07 November, 2006

Not Like We're Cheating

My goodness, how have I avoided Damien Jurado for so long? Really, it has been avoidance, though I can't remember what prompted it. I've got a not-so-secret thing for the abject misery Jurado seemingly dwells in, for the slow and sober tales from rock-bottom.

"Would you change your last name to mine?"

"I think my kids would mind."

That is, I think, as bad as it gets.


This song, from the forthcoming Catbird Records 008, The Ghosts' Blue Birds Blood, has got me more excited than anything I've heard recently. It's called "Penny Falls," and it's got the sweetest lilt imaginable.


This song reminds me of that Midlake song I just can't get into. Only, I really like it.

Memphis - I'll Do Whatever You Want [mp3]

Memphis' A Little Place In The Wilderness comes out early next year

***

Finally, I'm still making reparations for not putting the Clientele's Strange Geometry at the top of last year's list. The a-side has always seemed flawless, but only recently have I recognized the latter half as near-perfect. The way everything lightens, I mean actually lightens, when he says "Once a spell of grace came over me" could be my favorite moment on an album full of moments.

The Clientele - Geometry of Lawns [mp3]

pick up the Clientele's Strange Geometry here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Alas, that the link to "Geometry of Lawns" does not work. I've been enjoying your posts and the music I'm experiencing through said posts. Thanks.

07 November, 2006 19:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fell intensely in love with Suburban Light when it come out and then somehow forgot about the Clientele for a few years. When I started listening to Strange Geometry and heard 'Impossible' for the first time, I realized what a foolish mistake I had made- all Alasdair does is write perfect, dusky pop songs.

07 November, 2006 19:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice notes! The Clientele song should be working now. And Kevin, "dusky" is the perfect descriptor, I wish I had come up with that.

07 November, 2006 22:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for consistenly providing great music. the newest damien jurado album really is great. have you given the newest joseph arthur a spin?

also, i think you might like zach williams. he's an up and comer who recently relocated to new york. i put up seven tracks from him in my latest post. you just might dig it.

13 November, 2006 04:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nothing constructive to say but: i was digging through hype machine and noticed we both posted two different bands with the same name on the same day (the ghosts). what are the chances?

27 November, 2006 18:47  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you want to find more great indie artists check out woozyfly. com. I went there for the first time last night and found two awesome artists = woozyfly. com/chrismann and woozyfly. com/jacivelasquez

24 March, 2008 19:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home