11 October, 2006

Ash In Our Pockets

I try not to say X sounds like Y too often, especially when Y is a band like the Arcade Fire. But, man, when I listen to Colour Revolt's "Mattresses Underwater," I'm taken somewhere eerily close to the Funeral site. Somewhere out in the snow, where youth circle garbage fires, wracked by worry and passion. They sing in "we"s of the terrible truths they've discovered - "We should probably get used to it, but we don't." Gripping.


Last night's Sufjan Stevens and My Brightest Diamond concert was perhaps the best show I've ever seen. The songs, embellished with strings and horns and the Pacific Mozart Ensemble choir, were improbably huge and impossibly flawless. I have no doubt that Sufjan Stevens is the finest musician today.

2 Comments:

Blogger suzequatro said...

colour revold is super cool :)

11 October, 2006 23:05  
Blogger The World Forgot said...

nice mention of the colour revolt. not sure if they're quite at the arcade fire level... yet.

ditto on the mention that sufjan just might be the finest musician out there.

12 October, 2006 23:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home