13 September, 2006

Rosewood Hearts

SOMETIMES THE BEST songs sneak up on you, clandestine and confident, from bands you've never heard of, or the end of albums seldom played through. In this case it's both, the song being "Lonesome Road," from The Rosewood Thieves' From The Decker House EP. I won't say I ever wrote the band off, because I do enjoy their jaunty classic rock - it's just that I didn't know what to say besides this sounds like John Lennon.

"Lonesome Road" only really got to me in the car, with my iPod on shuffle. Even then it was over too quickly, leaving its indelible closing hook in my mind. From a slow and shiftless beginning comes a hesitant bounce, and then sweet payoff: "She di-id not come ba-ack" sings Erick Jordan (I think) in the entire album's finest moment.

The Rosewood Thieves - Lonesome Road [mp3]

Visit The Rosewood Thieves and buy the From The Decker House EP here.

This record by the Kamikaze Hearts, Oneida Road, is really something. Something gorgeous and familiar, something you feel comfortable close to. Not to say that it's anodyne - there are nuances here which only make it more ingratiating: a sincere, slightly silly voice, and a wonderful feeling of projection.

The Kamikaze Hearts - Half of Me [mp3]

The Kamikaze Hearts - You Can't Just Get Up And Leave [mp3]

I love how "Half of Me" starts out sounding so much like an Andrew Bird song, but only gets easier. Romance, baby!

Visit Kamikaze Hearts online, and preorder Oneida Road here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Kamikaze Hearts are amazing live, and I am digging all the tracks I hear off "Oneida Road." I can't wait to check out the disc in full!

13 September, 2006 10:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the rose wood seems more like early t.rex meets donovan.

thanks for this!

18 September, 2006 02:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home