01 September, 2006

Click Wheel Five III + Mix


I'D LIKE TO DO THIS every month, but it looks like I just missed August.


"Paper Tiger" is the most haunting of Spoon's skeletons on Kill the Moonlight. The demo doesn't help illustrate the song's growth from idea to album, because it sounds very much the same, but it does clarify a line I've always had trouble with: "Stay out 'til morning/ Sharp as knives." [info] [buy]


I've already written about this one, but I don't know what I was talking about. Prompts/Miscues has, surprisingly, become a favorite and a mainstay on my iPod over the last few months. The songs are unassuming, but well-crafted and often, like "Battle Brigades pt. II," quite pretty. "Okay, okay, okay, okay" with such timing - I love it.
[info] [buy]


One day, on the tennis courts, a kid told me about Sunny Day Real Estate. He often wore a Sunny Day Real Estate Shirt, so I knew he was serious, and I went and bought How it Feels to be Something On. I wouldn't end up wearing their shirt, but I came to enjoy the band more than I would have expected. Listening now, for the first time in a while, it's interesting how much alternative-rock I hear in this, when at the time it sounded entirely different. Also, I just got some new Jeremy Enigk songs to check out, could be good.
[info] [buy]


I've said it before, but this album is sex. It's not in the lyrics as much as the inimitable tension between boy-Kill and girl-Kill: the whispers and the looks, you can hear them.
[info] [buy]


My favorite part of this song is the priest's exaggerated exhalation in the beginning, kicking off the track with drama. And the whistling at the end - like some kind of urban spaghetti western - I like that too.
[info] [buy]

***

My sis' and my back-2-skool mix is in full effect!

"Sometimes in the Fall"

1. Band of Horses - The Funeral [mp3]

2. Junior Boys - In the Morning [mp3]

3. Kelis - Bossy (Alan Braxe & Fred Falke Remix)

4. The Rapture - Get Myself Into It [mp3]

5. Justin Timberlake - SexyBack

6. Catfish Haven - Crazy for Leaving [mp3]

7. Justin Timberlake - My Love (ft. T.I.)

8. The Submarines - Peace & Hate

9. Assembly Now - It's Magnetic (Luke Smith Remix) [mp3]

10. Scissor Sisters - Don't Feel Like Dancing

11. The Pipettes - Pull Shapes

12. The Foundry Field Recordings - Holding the Pilots/Holding the Facts

13. The Kills - No Wow (MSTRKRFT Remix)

14. The Walkmen - Many Rivers to Cross [mp3]

***

I've got some serious plans 'til next-next week. See you then!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If those are 'hits' you guys have 'good taste.' And since most of those songs suck..."

-bell

01 September, 2006 17:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog, great tracks, great layout. See ya.

09 September, 2006 14:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

brian, where are you? you've been gone too long . . . come back!

09 September, 2006 19:21  
Blogger Author said...

I like listened to the first song and liked it. Great Site.

12 September, 2006 20:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home