28 August, 2006

When This Is Over



I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING
M. Ward for what feels like a very long time, having discovered him (beneath dust and creaky floorboards, it would seem) during my first foray into folk and country in high school. M. was the most endearing of my discoveries: as many others had noted he sounded entirely anachronistic, but he also had a worn warmth I couldn't feel in the early 20th century folk I listened to. So it was, basically, everything I was searching for.

When Ward's Transfiguration of Vincent came out a while later I realized I might have to share my find with a few more people, so confident and accessible was that album. That was fine; the songs, especially his cover of Bowie's "Let's Dance," became personal and special, more than before. Also, I began to recognize Ward's unique and immense talent as a songwriter, which would only be further cemented with the release of Transistor Radio.

Now, and even before I heard the new Post-War, I regard M. Ward as one of the best musicians around (what I would give to see the "Monsters of Folk" tour: Ward, Oberst and Jim James - as good as it gets). But this release is more than I could have hoped for, far more. Sounding newly free and passionate, saying M. is firing on all cylinders couldn't be more appropriate. There's an increased vitality and urgency running through this record, a wonderfully enhancing contrast and fidelity - nothing intrusive, but very appreciable. On the most immediately charming track, a cover of Daniel Johnston's "To Go Home," Ward's élan is most apparent. The song's lift is thrilling, an ascending piano riff and a splay of drums like pure joy, making it the best love song since he did "Let's Dance."


Here's a rare M. Ward track with his recognizably jaunty, sweetly humming sound. The growth displayed between the above song and this one is significant, but this is closer to the old M. Ward song I would keep secret in my pocket.

UPDATE: So the all knowing Frank has informed me that "Fearless" is an American Music Club cover. Whoever they are. For the record, I think it's a well-written song; the growth I referred to above had to do with M. Ward's overall sound (he is less assertive on "Fearless" than on "To Go Home," for example). Please don't make fun of me.

Visit M. Ward online, and buy Post-War here (released tomorrow).

***

Go get the rare "Hot Fries" and "Milkcrate Mosh" at the Hold Steady's MySpace! And a new track, too (thanks CW).

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know that "Fearless" is an American Music Club cover, right?

28 August, 2006 20:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now i do! i'm embarrassed.

28 August, 2006 20:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Whoever they are"... ?!?!?!

Okay, that's just unacceptable. Go to emusic and download the 1984-1996 compilation. AMC are one the best bands of the last 20 years. No lie.

29 August, 2006 04:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry Frank, I'm looking into it! Thanks.

29 August, 2006 11:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Whoever they are" do some research. And get some history under your belt, kid.

29 August, 2006 17:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, I'm not that obnoxious. The "whoever they are" was sarcastic. Apologies.

29 August, 2006 18:42  
Blogger Craig said...

so let me get this straight he didn't write either of these songs yet he has grown as a songwriter, seems to me at least 20% of the songs on his album and and the best ones are covers...I'll take AMC over this

04 September, 2006 12:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home