09 October, 2006

I Don't Know any Pretty Redheads


This came up randomly the other day and, happily, sounded good as ever. See, sometimes when I open time capsules I can no longer relate, and it's saddening. But this song, it's irreducible and flawless pop, and it's rock. A dialogue between cheater and cheated doesn't deserve to be this fun, or end so quickly. As a bonus, when singing along, choose either harmony, or make up your own. See? Still sounds good!


I'll spin this into a confession: A few years ago, my then-girlfriend was excited about a band called Hellogoodbye, who she somehow knew or kind-of-knew. She played me a song, I couldn't process the pop of it, and I took my defense and mocked it. The Velvets-aping album cover, the inane lyrics, the name - like that. Now when I happen across a song by the same band and fall hard, I can't help but feel ashamed. I'm sorry, I'm sorry everybody, I am.

Oh yeah - I like it because it reminds me of "Do You Believe in Live After Love?" (bad idea?).


Help Stereogum find those Decemberists b-sides!

I'm seeing Sufjan and My Brightest Diamond tomorrow. I heard talk of a 24-piece choir. I can only think about it so much before passing out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sufjan will blow you away, and shara worden is fabulous, a joy to watch. a 24-voice choir? wow. enjoy.

09 October, 2006 15:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home