05 October, 2006

Let's Address the Issues of the Day

First, the new Hold Steady record. My love for Separation Sunday has been documented here before, and I couldn't imagine how the (mostly Pitchfork-generated) rumors and hints of Boys and Girls in America could possibly hold true.

Now that I've listened, I can say these are good songs. At least, that's what I think - I can hardly make out what Finn's saying-singing in these songs because they're mixed so poorly. I can hardly bring myself to listen to the album, even though I know there are some killer tracks on there, really, it's tragic. I had been waiting to hear a studio version of "Stuck Between Stations" for a long time, I guess I'll stick with the version they played on The Current last year (I'd rather hear him too loud).


Second, the new Decemberists album. It's exciting to listen to them, how, with each new album, they hone their idiosyncratic vision to something more forceful and fantastic. The Crane Wife isn't precious or grating, no more sea-chanteys, but it's still quirky and entirely accessible. The "Crane Wife" suite (that's 1-3) is, simply, amazing. The first two combine to recall "California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade," and the third opens the disc rolling downhill, gathering momentum and gusto. Also, Moistworks pointed out that the Shankill Butchers are a very real thing. Terrifying.

On iTunes, download the bonus track "After the Bombs."

The Decemberists - Summersong [mp3]

buy The Crane Wife

***

Third, the new Blood Brothers album. Check the video for "Lazer Life" here. How, how can you not like the Blood Brothers?



pre-order Young Machetes (October 10)

***

Here's one I haven't seen around, but was prompted to consider. It's by a band called Princeton, and it's lo-fi mop-pop whatever, charming. I'm moved to mention it not only because, well, it's quite nice, but also because when I listen I hear the singer's tongue hanging out, I see it, and I want to laugh and tuck it back in. Funny.


***

Does anyone else get a thoroughly lukewarm feeling from the Swan Lake songs and their accompanying reviews? I guess I'll come out and say I'm disappointed.

***

The new addition to Pitchfork's Infinite Mixtape is pretty damn sweet - Christopher Willits' "Colors Shifting." It makes me want to go back to my Fennesz albums I haven't heard in too long.


I apologize for my feed's misbehavior. I was unaware, and I have no clue how to fix it.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your thoughts on the new hold Steady album. After waiting to hear it and being somewhat let down I am doing my best to give it a chance. It will never be as good to me as the first 2 but it does have it's moments.

The Crane Wife is amazing but did take a little time to grow on me. Reallysucks for those of us that bought the actual CD that the After The Bombs track is an album only download. The sample sounded really good though.

05 October, 2006 20:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last Hold Steady album and this one I was underwhelmed, but after 3 listens or so, I fell in love. Headphones help.

06 October, 2006 07:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He Brian,
I don't know if you know me anymore but I'm a friend of Peter, with which you enjoyed a concert in Holland. I just want to say that the A's are doing pretty well in the playoffs and I hope that they will meet the Cards in the playoffs.
Greetings, Paul

06 October, 2006 08:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul, good to hear from you! Of course I remember. Actually, I'm leaving this minute to watch the A's play the Twins in Oakland. I'm hoping for a sweep. Send me an email sometime (brian@bowsplusarrows.com) and we'll talk NBA once the season begins!

06 October, 2006 09:09  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I insisted from the very beginning that B&GIA mostly suffers from being flawed technically, that's what pushed me away first. What is up with the mixing? Yeah, totally disappointed.

And Swan Lake just seems like overkill at this point. Though I envy/appreciate these fellows' excessive creative impulses, it seems like they all need some serious, critical editors at this point.

06 October, 2006 09:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it the mixing or the hype that bothers you most? I actually think the record sounds great. There are some bad mp3s floating around, which don't help, but the cd sounds good, at least on the stereos I've used to listen to it. The Decemberists album, as well, is quite wonderful.

06 October, 2006 10:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the mixing. I really can't hear him under the instruments. The hype is fine, the more people getting into them the better.

06 October, 2006 20:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They must have changed it, I got it as soon as it was available, and as a single track purchase. I can't share it because it's "locked" or whatever. I'm sure it will pop up soon though. Sorry!

07 October, 2006 09:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hate to be the bitchy moaning buzz kill but the hold steady are ridiculously bad. painful I'd even say. as for the decemberists, one word: college rock.


Next generation Train/Barenaked Ladies


much better music to listen to out there like cook mountain/yellow house/poos clouds

08 October, 2006 22:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I'd like to dismiss that entire comment, I can't get past this in particular:

Next generation Train/Barenaked Ladies

seriously?

09 October, 2006 00:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously, it's just all gussied up and made to look "fancy" but it's incredibly run of the mill when you dig down

10 October, 2006 00:19  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Back to reply that it's most definitely the mixdown on B&GIA that I loathe. The hype really doesn't bug me, I've liked them from the beginning, which I'm sure most people are sick of hearing me say...

19 October, 2006 13:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

10 September, 2007 14:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home