13 October, 2006

Go Big


You can't hide Langhorne Slim's voice, but then, why would you want to? It's sharp and bright, as if designed to commandeer the listener's attention. You don't mind, though, because these songs' shamble and shake are compellingly mellifluous, from "Sweet Olive Tree"'s sparsity to the barnburning "Honey Pie." The Engine EP, though it comprises only four songs, is a remarkable little release, certainly one that's managed to capture my regard. Looking back at my favorite releases, I realize this is the case with most of Brian Deck's productions. Hmm.

Langhorne stopped by Daytrotter last week and recorded a wonderful set - do yourself a favor and check it out, especially the wonderful "By the Time the Sun's Gone Down" and the unreleased "She's Gone."

buy Langhorne Slim's Engine EP here

***

You know, Albert Hammond, Jr.'s song "In Transit" isn't that bad. I don't know why, but I had it in my head that his new solo album Yours To Keep would, by default, follow the trajectory mapped by the Strokes' discography (not good). It's sweeter, unabashedly poppy, but those laser guitars keep it interesting.


How did I miss this Oxford Collapse song? Probably the asinine title. But no, it's good! It's great! It's got vocals that remind me of Wilderness, which remind me of something else altogether. Let's continue this trend (go big!), yeah?


The new Patrick Wolf song is glorious, the way it keeps slipping away from itself, the way it can't keep together. It's something altogether different than "The Libertine," my favorite from Wind in the Wires, but it somehow strikes me as the song he was itching to make. Maybe it's the hair, maybe it's the video. Don't watch it.

Patrick Wolf - Accident & Emergency [mp3]

Patrick Wolf's The Magic Position comes out early next year

***

Next week sees the first Bows + Arrows contest take place! Stay tuned. Also, if you haven't yet, listen to that Colour Revolt song. Please.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lyricslover said...

I'd say I have to agree with your enthusiasm for the song Mattresses Underwater.

As a matter of fact, I included it in a mix of songs I posted a while back at The King's Bizarre. (Link provided in case you're interested.)

14 October, 2006 12:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, i finally got around to listening to the colour revolt and i love it. thanks so much.

is the rest of the album as good?

15 October, 2006 07:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't heard anything else on the EP, I'll look into that. Apparently they are killer live.

15 October, 2006 09:44  
Blogger The Very Extremely Truth said...

IT'S BRIAN'S BIRTHDAY. ALL YOU CRAZY MUSIC ADDICTS SAY SOMETHING NICE TO HIM.

18 October, 2006 00:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home