01 May, 2006

Hand-Picked: April

Now, I'm not nearly organized or consistent enough on this Internet site to introduce a recurring feature. It's a shame, too, because some of my favorite posts are features: Ear Farm's 8+, Said the Gramophone's Said the Guests, Muzzle of Bees' Get To Know Your Blogger, and Can You See The Sunset From The Southside's An Incomplete History of Chicago Punk Rock all stand out as essential. And now I present a half-assed "feature" of my own (which isn't to belittle its importance (and which is itself a copy of another Ear Farm feature)): Hand-Picked. It highlights the highlights, dig?





April began while I was away, relaxing and even getting to enjoy a random Haarlem battle-of-the-bands. My vote went to Jurango for their unapologetic, fun-fun-fun rock n roll. I wrote:

"Good guitar rock that made me smile and move, a lot more fun than the two metal bands and the funk band and the big band. I'm glad I don't have pictures or sounds, because they wouldn't translate. It was a reaffirming live music experience: the building of atmosphere and tension, and a million little releases. It was a good show."

Well, now I have audio, and while it still doesn't nearly do a live show justice, give it a try. Admittedly not what I listen to, but in honor of a good time:


***

Next come Shapes and Sizes, recent Asthmatic Kitty signees. I've only come to love their sound even more since I first wrote:

"I hear something I like in Shapes and Sizes. Or, rather, many things I like - there is a lot going on. Electric things, fuzzy things, noisy things."

I recently got my hand on another track from their upcoming self-titled debut on , look forward to that.


***

I discovered Johnny And The Moon, aka Dante DeCaro through his Wolf Parade connections, and have since become addicted to his goofy, sweet Dylan songs. I wrote:

"Johnny And The Moon forgoes the intensity, opting instead for a loose, grinning sound. "When You're All Alone" shambles and rambles, a mountain music jukebox playing Dylan, drunk. DeCaro sings weary through a smile, his friends and his instruments don't even bother, bouncing happy and yelling happier."

Be happy, check it out.


***

Wilderness has grown on me rather unforgivingly, which seems appropriate somehow. I remember when Pitchfork was testing online radio and requesting to hear Wilderness, and my utter disappointment upon hearing a song from their old album. An understatement: things have changed since then. I wrote:

"Wilderness is the forest, wolves, sharp rocks and teeth. Wilderness is undomesticated and athletic and acerbic - terribly, awesomely magnificent. Wilderness (the band) is the finest approximation of wilderness I've ever heard, invigorating like cold air and fear."

Indeed, Vessel States can do no wrong.


***

Think About Life has getting a real push lately, and I'm all for it. I was hesitant after seeing their hideous .gif'ed out website and cheesy name, but as I said:

"It took me exactly one listen to fall in love with this song. It features an incessant, overdriven note and a drum machine named Matt Shane, which propel it to a thrilling speed early on and never look back. 'Wait, just wait. Wait for me, please wait for me,' they sing, but Matt Shane knows better."

It's confusing in its brilliance, is what I've decided.


***

Not a month goes by where Mr. Indie Rock 2005 doesn't knock me back in awe. Sufjan Stevens has an album of outtakes and miscellany coming out in the summer, and so far we've been treated to two new songs from it. About "Dear Mr. Supercomputer" I wrote:

"'Dear Mr. Supercomputer' sees Stevens and friends, dressed as robots, showing off their light hearts and gracious touch. It's funny, it's endearing, it's unpretentious and affecting. 'One-two-three-four-five-six-seven/ All-com-pu-ters-go-to-heaven,' they jingle, goofy as the thought of the word supercomputer."

The Avalanche for best album of 2K6? Of course not, but it's shaping up to be a good one.


***

Finally, we have what I've been most excited about lately. Or perhaps that's the wrong word, because their music isn't meant to "excite" as such. Either way, I've fallen for Joy. I wrote:

"The songs were a loosely-woven blanket cast wide, warm evening air through the holes. Notes rang with twilit clarity, up like smoke, dissipating into night and space. Hushed and buzzing, this is flawless music at exactly the right time."

It's still the right time (it will always be the right time), so listen.

Joy - Tigers Paw [mp3]

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home