25 April, 2006

Running/Returning

Stupid, stupid me. The Triptych Festival is upon us in sunny Schottland: five days, three cities, twenty venues, too many bands to count. The biggest draw, the act I was most excited about, what could be the highlight of a year of shows here: the Silver Jews. Well, I let that one slip by, and now it's sold out.

It was gonna be special.


Perhaps the only thing that hits harder than Berman's assertion that "there is a place past the blues I never wanna see again," is what comes a couple minutes later in the song. Suddenly, terribly, awesomely: "I saw God's shadow on this world. I saw God's shadow on this world... I took a hammer to it all." He sings this with a conviction to match, working everything into a frenzied finale.



I don't know Herman Düne, but I see that he can make a nice song using a ukelele. The Catbirdseat is all over ukeleles, by the way.

Visit the Silver Jews online, buy the fantastic Tanglewood Numbers here.

All hope's not lost though, as tomorrow I'll be discovering Akron/Family. I've only heard one song of theirs, which I have come to love dearly, called "Running, Returning." What I like best is that the singer, I'll call him Akron, holds his wonderfully imperfect, crystal notes in a way remniscent of Jeff Mangum. It sounds reckless at first, the way he pushes them and the way they won't stay still, but it really isn't. Akron is trying his hardest to make those sounds come out right, to sing his insides out. And what results - this music - sounds like Animal Collective. But humans, not animals.


Visit Akron/Family online, buy Akron/Family here, and check out this artwork:








Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home