14 April, 2006

¡Lost Hermanos Cubanos!

I went, blindly, to the Liquid Room last night to catch the Cuban Brothers. I had been told there would be breakdancing and music and comedy, and while there was, it was nothing like I expected. I envisioned a show in parts, a factioned stage and the type of self-conscious appreciation I give to things I don't know much about - breakdancing, DJing, and performances in general. Little did I know...

There are four "brothers:" two breakdancers, a DJ, and an MC, "Miguel," who leads the show. The dancers amazed, the MC humored and flowed, and the DJ kept everything high - and in a glorious inversion of my stuffy expectations, it all happened at once. It was the most fun I've had at a show all year, longer even. Despite seeing this man (Miguel) naked:



Check out their website for the backstory, pick your own parts to believe. But even better, see them live if you're in the UK. A clip from their single, "A Million Stories:"


Needless to say, only an ounce of their magic, their energy and happiness, can be captured here. This is a single piece of the puzzle, hopefully you can see where it might fit in.

Buy their new album, A to Z, here.

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Charlotte Deaver said...

Ahhh! That sounds GREAT. I would LOVE to see them. See, Edinburg, Brooklyn -- you just can't get away from great stuff these days, it seems. (What happened to the snob in me?!) Hey, aren't Elbow from Edinburg? Anyway, nice post. Ciao.

14 April, 2006 14:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home