09 January, 2006

The Clientele:


This one has hit me full-force: I've fallen in love with the Clientele. I'd like to be romantic and attribute it to my tenure here in the UK, walking around in the grey and the cold and understanding Alasdair MacLean's quintessentially English stories of loneliness and emptiness. But really, it's because I've listened closely, and I think the band has improved. The recently released Strange Geometry finds the band more concise and more urgent, a welcome and impressive addition to their signature sound. The songs have a subtle yet unsettling undercurrent which infuses MacLean's dreamy lyrics with moments that are best described as "lucid, and so creepy," to borrow from the songwriter himself.


From Strange Geometry (buy it on vinyl and get the mp3s free!):

The Clientele - Since K Got Over Me


The Clientele - (I Can't Seem To) Make You Mine

Pitchfork posted a very interesting interview with the band today, so go read up.

I wish I had paid them more attention when they opened for Spoon.

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. The Clientele is loveable. One of the better new bands out there. You think they have staying power though? I am skeptical, but hopefull.

10 January, 2006 18:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home