02 January, 2006

Regina Spektor


Will somebody explain to me what anti-folk is? I've tried to comprehend the descriptions I read, but can't make the connections. Regina Spektor is the postergirl for the New York scene (as far as I can tell), and I've fallen in love since discovering her last year. Her voice is gorgeous, ranging from playful to heartbreaking, often within the same song. Her New York accent is displayed proudly over her twinkling piano in songs like "Somedays," which for me evokes some weird, surreal scene of a beautiful voice rising above apartments in the city. Something I would imagine as a play.

Perhaps my favorite Spektor song is "Us," a fantastic, thrillingly paced tune which I can only assume is about her and me. Wonderful.

From Soviet Kitsch:

Regina Spektor - Somedays

Regina Spektor - Us

I just found out she's coming to Edinburgh in February. I am excitement!

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger bigshoulders said...

hubbah hubbah!
i'm sure you will... but please post a review of Regina Spektor's show if you indeed go in February.
thanks for the mp3's. what a wonderful aural treat for an ohterwise bland tuesday!

bigshoulders

10 January, 2006 11:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home