20 December, 2005

My One Favorite Song of 2005

One of my favorite Christmas presents every year, the Pitchfork list, has been revealed, and I find myself oddly relieved that Illinois came out on top. Vindication, I guess (and I know it shouldn't matter).

If you want more lists, I'll call this one My One Favorite Song of 2005. It's short and sweet.


1. Imogen Heap - Hide and Seek

I've listened to this song a million times. I believe I wrote about it too at some point. About the way it darts and fades and builds atop itself with such a natural, fluid feel. Even though it's just a heavily processed voice, it's incredibly human, mimicking the rise and fall dynamics of breathing. And for a pop song, the lyrics aren't bad at all, from the gorgeous image of "crop circles in the carpet" to the heartbreakingly direct ending mantra of "you don't care a bit."

I heard this song tonight in the movie theatre bathroom, which, when considered, is significant. It's where you would normally find the most inoffensive and bland pop music, songs which are universally acceptible and accessible. The exciting part is that "Hide and Seek" is considered both of the latter, but is far from being bland. It's entirely original and infinitely interesting, so to think of it as the future of true pop music is both relieving and intriguing.

Enjoy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, yes, young brian...where is your national?

20 December, 2005 22:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed - one of my favourite songs of 2005 :)

26 December, 2005 18:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks a lot, you got me frickin hooked on it too. yarrrr

29 December, 2005 10:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home