01 January, 2006

Happy New Year!


I hope you all had a great one. Hogmanay (the new year celebration) in Edinburgh is massive is all that I'll say. I treated myself to some compact discs when I was home in California, and now I share them with you:

Silver Jews - Tanglewood Numbers (buy)

This was playing in the record shop when I was browsing, and I decided to give it a go. I'm a lyrics guy, and David Berman is a poet (literally), so why not? "Punks In The Beerlight" is a recent favorite. I love you to the max!

Silver Jews - Punks In The Beerlight

Four Tet - Everything Ecstatic (buy)

This was one of those albums I'd been considering buying forever, and that day I put an end to the indecision. "Smile Around The Face" is the jam!

Four Tet - Smile Around The Face

The Constantines - Shine A Light (buy)


I guess Tournament Of Hearts doesn't actually exist, because I've yet to see a physical copy. And believe me, I've been looking. So, I picked up the famed Shine A Light and am nothing but impressed. The Constantines are absolutely menacing, just check out "Goodbye Baby & Amen." It's got an unsettling dark undercurrent and an alarm guitar, but what really makes me fear it is the saxophones that just don't mean well.

The Constantines - Goodnight Baby & Amen


The Rosebuds - Birds Make Good Neighbors (buy)


Thanks to Anne for this one. It's been blogged a million times and I'm not sure I've got anything great to add, so I'll just say that I really like it. Okay?

The Rosebuds - Leaves Do Fall


Grizzly Bear - The Horn Of Plenty + The Remixes (buy)


I remember writing that I wasn't sure what separated this from the mass of samey lo-fi folk music out there, but for some reason I really liked it. I still don't know.

Grizzly Bear - A Good Place

Enjoy 2006! And check out Indie For Dummies' super best-of-the-blogs 2005 album list. Featuring yours truly!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i quite like grizzly bear too

02 January, 2006 08:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://jcfqmmgs.com/gbce/mmgw.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qabrjhhh.com/ajij/sfxs.html]Cool site[/url]

04 August, 2006 16:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://jcfqmmgs.com/gbce/mmgw.html | http://kymhagbe.com/qpvt/oezd.html

04 August, 2006 16:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home