07 December, 2006

Songs of the Year

Eleven of my favorite songs from the past year, in alphabetical order.


I listened to "Browns Town" more than any other song this year, according to iTunes. It's by far the smallest song on a list that leans more toward the flamboyant and the epic, so its comfort is really no wonder.


Forget the Arcade Fire taking their sweet time. "Mattresses Underwater" tells me that Colour Revolt has their shit together. Best upset-youth song of the year.

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife 1 & 2

When a band pulls off "epic," two things happen in the time-space continuum. First, eleven-minutes-twenty-seconds becomes infinite. Second, eleven-minutes-twenty-seconds is gone before you know it.


The Pipettes' girl-group blitz got me moving, but when that ended it was this creepy Spector sound I came back to.


It's undeniable that this sweeping, ten-minute song works well, touching on be-wary ground with grace and compassion. But that it also worked in the context of The Animal Years-- that's another matter.


I'd go with "In The Morning" as my favorite song of the year-- It's that sexy.

Kelis - Bossy (Alan Braxe & Fred Falke Remix)


This is a late entry, a song that snuck up on me in the last couple weeks. I think the draw here is the interesting mix: flamboyant synths, manly vocals, and stupidly sweet lyrics.


This song is a tease.


I don't know what's more satisfying: Ms. Nasty's fresh voice singing even fresher lyrics, or the sound of Will Oldham having a blast.


It felt so, so good to hear this on the radio and see this on tv-- that's how much I'm rooting for Spektor. "Fidelity" is a special song, with appeal beyond anything else I've heard this year. It's also my ringtone (I've only ever bought one ringtone), so maybe that tells you something too.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

rock on brian

08 December, 2006 14:45  
Blogger theOmega said...

thank you from the heart of brownstown.

-Eeyore

12 December, 2006 01:03  
Blogger justin said...

you and I have some similar picks! uh yeah brownstown!

12 December, 2006 15:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In the Morning" is one of the best songs of the decade. for sure.

13 December, 2006 16:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lot of average songs.

10 January, 2007 09:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home