12 November, 2007

I Sold Myself Out

Pitchfork wasn't so far off in their review of Christopher Denny's Age Old Hunger: it's an out-of-time record from a man in Arkansas, a lovely album of songs, old and new, sung genuinely. I do think, however, that two things need be mentioned in conjunction with the album, points which I find most appealing about Mr. Denny's work. First, there is a very strong resemblance to the wonderful Tom Brosseau which extends beyond the obvious vocal comparisons (is it appropriate to call it "high lonesome," or is that something else altogether? It fits.). Knotty punctuation aside, a shared affinity for trains and a lost generation of middle-America and its mannerisms ties the gentlemen-- at least in my mind.


Secondly, the Pitchfork article makes no mention of the title track, the strongest point on the record, even if it's not the most accurate representation. "Age Old Hunger", unlike the album's other tracks, can't be reduced to C&W or old-timey-anything. Too direct and too stark, it's-- and I hate to use this word in this context-- hungry.

I sold myself out, and I didn't get nothing in return
I sold myself out, not one thing did I earn.

I damn near lost my mind, trying to think like somebody else
And I about lost my heart, trying to feel like somebody else.

proclaims Denny, with what can only be described as sheer conviction, over two smoldering chords. And later:

I wanna feel this hole in my soul, just how I don't know
I wanna feel good like I did when I was younger.

it's powerful and simple, recalling Dylan's "Most Of The Time" (musically too!). Please, take it with you and listen, this will all make more sense, really.

purchase Age Old Hunger, out now on 00:02:59.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thankyou for a great song.

21 November, 2007 01:15  
Blogger Unknown said...

You guys have to check out Chris Man. I have never seen a singer perform like him. So much passion, and great lyrics to boot! woozyfly. com/chrismann Check him out there.

24 March, 2008 19:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home