22 August, 2007

Girl With a Bird

So I didn't get my hands on 30 Year Low, but I picked up The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter and Under the Blacklight. We all knew Ritter would deliver yet again, but there seemed to be a general air of disappointment surrounding Rilo Kiley's latest. So, braced for the worst, I listened. Honestly? I don't see what's wrong. It's fun, whatever, Rilo Kiley, cool. To be honest, I have never been enamored with any RK album, but I realized that has little to do with my unwavering love for them. I will concede, though, that J-Lew singing in Spanish on that one song is a bad idea.

I'm too scared to post a Blacklight song, so instead I'll talk about the new Iron and Wine track that's got us all excited.



Consider the progress this song signifies: Sam Beam made his debut in 1932 as the quietest man ever recorded, a near-novelty who had clearly been blessed with real talent. Now listen to "Boy With a Coin", a complex and dynamic track with layers of percussion, electronics (!), vocals and intricate fretwork. It sounds like a lot-- too much, actually-- but Beam's real talent is in his ability to simplify. The song never overwhelms, it never even sounds loud, but it's enough to seem alive and thrumming, absolutely beautiful.

buy the Boy With a Coin single from Sub Pop

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home