13 May, 2006

Heteronyms, vol. II



This is actually a Jackson Browne song, though in my mind the Chelsea Girl's is the definitive rendition. Autumnal seems the perfect descriptor for Nico here, as she meditates on things lost and the "Times I had the chance to." And, put simply, it breaks my heart every time.


There was a time when all I wanted to hear were synths and harmonies, and the Return Of The Rentals was a godsend. Matt Sharp's pet-project, looking back, offered nothing especially rewarding, and I can't say "These Days" much different. Driven by synths wee-ing and ooo-ing, it's got a particularly sweet bridge featuring Petra Haden (current Decemberist) and her violin.


This song tells me it's okay to be a contemporary adult.

Visit Nico online, buy Chelsea Girl here.

Visit the Rentals online, buy Return of the Rentals here.

Visit Ron Sexsmith online, buy Cobblestone Runway here.

Past Heteronyms.

***

I like what I Guess I'm Floating's done here: where do blogs come from?

3 Comments:

Blogger jonder said...

Great post! Y'ever heard Gregg Allman's version of Jackson Browne's "These Days"? It's a heartbreaker. Lucinda Williams included it in her "Artist's Choice" cd that they sell at Starbuck$.

14 May, 2006 05:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't - though I'd love to! Those Starbucks cds have had a few good songs actually, I know Iron & Wine and Calexico have great songs on one of them.

14 May, 2006 07:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you forgot Mates of State - "these days"

14 May, 2006 12:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home