12 May, 2006

The Slip-stream

If I ventured in the slipstream
Between the viaducts of your dreams
Where the mobile steel rims crack
And the ditch and the backroads stop
Could you find me
Would you kiss-a my eyes
And lay me down
In silence easy
To be born again

I came across Lester Bangs' review of Astral Weeks today, a piece written ten years after Van Morrison dropped the classic album. Sometime over the past few years I've realized it as my Favorite Album, which isn't something I think about often or very lightly, and a concept I'm not entirely comfortable with. It's certainly not something I feel I can write about, much less review. And I understand and appreciate Bangs' hesitation to write about the album directly, and preference toward illustrating its mysterial grace in the broad, powerful terms that come closest to doing it justice.



To (try to) tackle such a song seems audacious, but it's an effort I appreciate. The more I listen, the more I enjoy the typically Machines reading. It becomes less overwhelming than it initially seems, all awash in two swirling chords and those monstrous drums. When I saw them play recently, they gorgeously covered Dylan's "Girl From The North Country," which I'd like to hear again - preferably from somewhere other than the pounding stage front.

Visit Van Morrison online, and buy Astral Weeks here. Needless to say, it's recommended.

Visit the Secret Machines online, and buy the Road Leads Where It's Led EP here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought Astral Weeks 10 years ago when I was 17 and I can empathize with your relationship to the record. I found it, or it me, at the right time in my life. I don't think I can appreciate it the way I used to, but thank you for reminding me of it. -Daniel

13 May, 2006 00:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, I hadn't seen that Lester Bang's review before...wow.

I've had the record for years, and it has a lot of personal meaning for me that perhaps has obscured the lyrics, so to see it through the eyes of that review just blows my mind. I have to listen to it today, haven't in a while.

Thanks!

13 May, 2006 07:05  
Blogger jonathantu said...

What a lovely surprise to stumble across this blog and post just as I, too, am preparing to write about Astral Weeks, Lester Bangs and Allen Ginsberg's Howl. I hope you don't mind me linking to your upload of Madame George. Also, welcome to my blogroll.

25 May, 2006 12:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discovered Astral Weeks shortly after Moondance. It was in my oldest brother's record collection (together with Santana's Caravanserai, Uriah Heep and Deep Purple). I was about 12 or 13 and it was the early 70's. Loved "The Way Young Lovers Do" the instant I heard it. "Ballerina" remains one of my all-time favourite VM tracks.

08 August, 2006 00:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home