07 March, 2006

How I Rediscovered Rock and Roll, Part I

So, for my first few Bows + Arrows posts (much love to Brian!!!) I'll be telling you about how I fell back in love with rock and roll. In this heartbreaking three part saga of epic proportions, I'll try to combine album reviews, concert reviews and band profiles with my own personal tale of musical love lost and rediscovered. So forgive me for being a little self indulgent, but hey, so was King Kong, and those Lord of the Rings movies, and those were pretty popular. Besides, this is an article about Destroyer.

In the past year or so, music and I haven't really shared the same steady, loving relationship we once had. Now, music has been my 'thing' since I was 10, listening to Matchbox 20 and, even better, Third Eye Blind (whose first album is a pop classic by the way), and it's been my lifelong aspiration to one day succeed, you know, even moderately, as a songwriter. (wink!)

So it's been a particularly heartbreaking lull. Granted, it'd be an outright lie to say that I lost interest in music; it's more like I'd changed from a loving husband (you know, metaphorically) to a shifty womanizer, picking up one beautiful album after another at the club that is indie rock, without even bothering to ask for a number the morning after or staying to talk over coffee. Overly long metaphors aside, it's been a long time since I'd developed lasting relationships with artists-- I was only interested in the next high, the next catchy chorus, the next big thing.



By now you've probably heard a thing or two about Destroyer's Rubies. You've heard that it's the most accessible and critically acclaimed album that Dan Bejar has made to date... (Read more + mp3!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything i have heard off this album sounds great. I really need to pick this one up. Great blog. I check it often.

09 March, 2006 08:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home