07 March, 2006

Quickly: new Regina Spektor

My girl Regina Spektor has two new tracks from her upcoming full-length, Begin to Hope, at her MySpace page. Something about my internet connection won't let me listen to MySpace streams... not easily anyway. So I've yet to hear these songs, but judging from the comments they sound quite interesting:

"WHAT have they done to your songs!?! Fidelity especially has been destroyed by cheap and tacky sounding beats, which actually manage the amazing feat of distracting you to the point that you miss the lyrics and voice behind them."

"Fidelity now sounds like someone trying to turn a Jon Brion song into a karaoke version. I've never thought this would happen. I've been such a huge fan for so long. I just really wish these new songs would have been kept simple."

"It seems like there's no heart in these songs. It breaks my heart."

See what I mean? What could it possibly sound like! I can't wait to hear for myself. Begin to Hope comes out May 16th.

Go stream "Fidelity" and "Better" at her MySpace.

UPDATE: I'm listening to "Better," and this is most definitely not what I expected. There's hardly a trace of keys, just incredibly bland guitars and drums... it sounds phoned-in... Is there still time to go back? Is it too late?

And now "Fidelity." Again, no piano, but some pizzicato strings (I think) and an atmosphere machine or synthesizer or whatever. It's better than the other song, but still not as good as the live version, which I've posted already:

Regina Spektor - Fidelity (live)

Regina Spektor - Better (live)

Enjoy?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

she is awesome, what a strange/great voice. dude check out this website i found:
http://www.digholes.com
its pretty funny

08 March, 2006 07:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the lyric from Better...'if you never say your name out loud to anyone they can never ever call you bad/back/?????'

If someone could help me with this it'd be great.

12 March, 2006 05:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"they can never ever call you by it" is what i hear.

12 March, 2006 10:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Davrell said...

I just discovered Regina Spektor and "Fidelity" on NPR's all Songs Considered. Your live version is richer, but the overly crafted studio version is not an artistic failure.

Her piano playing is good. But I wondered if you thought it might be better if she let someone else accompany her so that she could concentrate on singing. Naw... it's a dumb question. If I had a chance to see her live, I'd want to hear her do it all too.

03 April, 2006 06:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't heard the live version of fidelity yet but I loved the studio version. A new direction to be sure but it's nice to hear her voice through a different style.

14 April, 2006 19:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its @#$*& awesome - do not know wht ur tlking about!

07 August, 2006 20:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home