08 March, 2006

The Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

Fox Confessor doesn't yield an inch behind Case's brilliant, relentless pipes, which isn't so much a dig as the reason it leaves me feeling so overpowered. Add pretty-much-Calexico's dry, hard backing, and the resulting listen is a bit difficult when stretched over an entire album. But Case is a fine songwriter, able to harness her extraordinary power and transform it into sheer momentousness, as on "Star Witness" and "Maybe Sparrow," both stunners to raze buildings.

Lost amongst the immediacy of the eleven other tracks is "At Last," a blink-and-miss-it number which finds Case finally with her guard down. The guitars behind her strum sweetly introspective fourths, everything taking a breath. "And if death should smell my breathing/ As it passed beneath my window/ Let it lead me trembling, trembling" she sings with a resignation and uncertainty heretofore unheard, showing us that to touch is different than to move, although the latter is clearly her preference.

Neko Case - At Last [mp3]

Buy The Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, and visit Neko Case's homepage.

Enjoy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Hey Brian! This woman is my god! I've not bought the album yet coz I've hurt my back and can't get out the house. It's so frustrating! I'm refusing to download any of the album so that I can enjoy it with fresh ears all the way through, start to finish.

All quiet on the photo front, I think I've lost my mojo...but I have updated my cross processed blog

Hi and welcome to Dan and Tino!

08 March, 2006 14:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you said star wars at one point, that was cool.

08 March, 2006 22:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home