25 March, 2006

Four Pieces for the Right Hand



One of my favorite stories from last year's Best American was called "Eight Pieces for the Left Hand," by J. Robert Lennon.

1. rbally has posted some songs Regina Spektor recorded for the BBC, including a rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Chelsea Hotel." Please, please check it out. I love Regina intensely, and this song is gorgeous.

2. m3 online, or Good Weather for Airstrikes (I'm not sure which - or both?) has compiled Bloc Party b-sides and remixes, available as two album downloads. Or, you can go pick and choose, but it's worth a look.

3. Mocking Music is a music blog with long posts (I like long posts).

4. An Aquarium Drunkard has an album of Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash sessions (!). A fascinating listen.

So, what can I bring to the table? How about MySpace rips of the new Regina Spektor songs:


When these first came out, I didn't know what to think. Certainly, "Better" didn't impress me, with bland anyguitar replacing Spektor's charismatic keys. "Fidelity" I liked better (ha), with its sweet swagger and in-love-with-nothing-in-particular feeling. Since then I've listened to each, back-to-back-to-back ad infinitum. It's what I want to hear when I'm walking around, whether I'm up, down, whatever - unapologetic pop songs that translate into a bounce in my step. Spektor's got a sweet voice, too sweet for some, but I've fallen head over heels for it. It's tantalizing, the way I swear she's talking to me one moment and the next she's so obviously in her own daydreamy world. I guess it doesn't matter so much if she's alone with a piano and a chair and a drumstick, or if she's approaching Kelly Clarkson on "Better," I'm still gonna dig it.

Visit Regina online, and make sure to get Begin to Hope when it comes out June 13th.

Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennings said...

Thanks for the shout.

25 March, 2006 18:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am in love with these new regina songs.
thank you so much.

25 March, 2006 20:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home