22 March, 2006

Twenty-Four Rubdowns

You know those songs - ones you've met but realize keep appearing more than a simple aquantaince should? The songs that slip you something seemingly innocuous when you listen - a certain line, that one sound, his voice there - and sit back and smile as you unwittingly come back for more. It took a while, but I caught some:


"I woulda come up to the midlands/ Taken that boy and broken his back/ Showed your dad just what I think/ And lift you up and carry you out"

This one gets me off-guard, a sudden, lucid moment, as if for two seconds I know what Gavin Dwight is talking about. I want him to find that boy and steal that girl, I'm cheering for him through a window. And then it's gone, I've forgotten until next time.


"There's a kid in there/ And he's big and dumb and he's/ Kinda scared and he's/ Well he's too old to be there/ He's just looking for a ride"

There's a ringing that lifts when Spencer Krug sings this bit, waves crash and I like that guitar squiggle in the background. And I see that big kid and I'm not sure if he's supposed to look that much like me. Again, it's gone before I'll know.

Visit Assembly Now online

Visit Sunset Rubdown online

Buy the Sunset Rubdown EP

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home