24 April, 2008

Dawn & Delta

Do any of you live in Davis? My reason for asking is two-fold: first, I don't consider B+A to be as geographically-oriented as many other music blogs, so I've never really thought about the Davis contingent of my vast readership. I'm curious.

Secondly, if you do happen to live in Davis (or surrounding areas), I'd like to recommend you come to the Delta of Venus cafe tomorrow night. The Chapin Sisters, Two Sheds, and Dame Satan are performing, and it's the latter of the three that I'm excited to see.


Dame Satan sent their latest, possibly first, album, Beaches and Bridges, and it's spot-on. I've had it for two days and I'm pushing it-- that never happens. Immediately striking was the music's resemblance to two traits seemingly at odds with each other: Fleet Foxes' stateliness and Akron/Family's gloriously buoyant weirdness. Now, these are the characteristics that define my love for these bands, and to find them in something equally realized but essentially different from either is wonderfully impressive. If you're even remotely fond of this West-Coast-weirdo-collective love sound, come out to the show, or buy the album and listen to it outside, in the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home