18 November, 2005

show: The National


Last night I saw The National and Film School at King Tut's in Glasgow. I've only been listening to The National since I've been in Scotland, ironically, but have become absolutely enamored with their music in that short span. Alligator is without a doubt one of the year's best albums, and the sick emo kid in me couldn't pass up a chance to see a live show described as a "[draining] display of pathos" in the Information Leafblower Top 40 Bands list, in which The National ranked second (!).

The venue was as great as I expected, although initial confusion led my friend and I upstairs to soundcheck where we were mistaken by the band for journalists. Film School played first, and, to be honest, bored me out of my mind. Were they really hand-picked for this tour by the headliners? Somebody must like them.


The National took stage afterwards, and began with "Secret Meeting," as I had hoped and expected. An immediate and lasting impression was the musicianship - being a yard in front of Aaron (I think) Dessner and watching his intricate and forceful guitar work, often in awe, made me appreciate even more the band's undeniable talent. Vocalist Matt Berninger wore himself out very visibly during the set, yet instead of it being frustrating hearing his voice deteriorate, it was compelling and forgivable. It was terrifying watching him curl up on the floor smoking and then rise up again, his frame skinny and stressed and lines like "I'm so sorry for everything" coming out of his mouth. An affecting display of self-loathing indeed.


The set was composed of a fair amount from Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers and Cherry Tree, and of course most of Alligator. Aside from the expected standouts like the driving "Mr. November" and "Abel," more subtle numbers like "Cold Girl Fever" were engaging as well, showing the band to be masters of atmosphere and dynamics.

From Alligator:

The National - Abel

The National - All The Wine

From Cherry Tree EP:

The National - Wasp Nest (recommended)

From Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers:

The National - Slipping Husband

From The National:

The National - Cold Girl Fever

Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo wuz with this one one B?
wats this all about B?

18 November, 2005 15:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Wasp Nest. Very nice.

18 November, 2005 21:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home